Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Coffee Forever

Today, when my sister came to pick me up from work, she (despite being a little worked up from some stressful errands) nicely suggested we go to Starbucks. I had my happy "free birthday drink" postcard along (she offered to buy me Starbucks, but it was definitely my turn to pay), and I had been craving Sbux all day, so I readily agreed.

Since I could get any drink for free, I naturally HAD to get a Venti. This is why I am still awake and not even a little bit sleepy - I'm very sensitive to caffeine after 3 PM. Though I think I secretly realize that sometimes free doesn't mean FREE, I'm a slow learner and easily distracted by good deals.

My sister and I had a nice, bouncy, caffeinated afternoon, for those of you wondering - but then of course I got all jittery and shaky, which wasn't particularly fun. And now I'm awake, blogging about ordering stupid things when I could be sleeping. Like caffeine, economics has serious consequences. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're bad, but they're always long-term.

In economics, everyone reacts to each other - a rise in quantity demanded will increase prices, which will likely lead to a rise in quantity supplied, which leads to a drop in price, which decreases the quantity supplied, which will eventually get back to equilibrium. If things like consumer preferences never changed, this could theoretically go on forever.

This is why making sound economic choices is so important - not just in the short-term, like getting a free Venti in the late afternoon, but starting things like government bailouts and healthcare. These choices affect and will continue to affect our economy in ways we are still unaware of - and even if the leadership changes, the effects will continue. Economics is kind of like a can of Pringles - once you pop, the fun won't stop. Once you act, the ramifications don't stop - especially if they're caffeinated ramifications. Those can stay up and party all night long.

So while I spent my afternoon reading, with what looked like a bad case of nervous leg syndrome (NLS), the economy could spend all next year in the doctor's office to treat that imaginary case of NLS, costing taxpayers, which could eventually mean cutting services, which could be bad news for people with real cases of NLS. Unlike my coffee buzz, which will be completely gone in the morning, the consequences of our economic choices will be here for years. Decaf, anyone?

I did all this in:
Black pencil skirt, black lace-edged cami, hot pink sleeveless collared wrap shirt, cubic zirconia square studs, black & clear small concentric circle necklace, and black and white polka dot slingback peep-toe wedges with hot pink lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment