Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Give-Your-Kid-A-Head-Start Day

Today was Father's Day - and also my sister's birthday party (she's 14 now!). I'm sure you don't want a minute-by-minute account of what I did, so I'll give you something short.

In thinking about fathers, I was struck by how many kids won't be able to really celebrate Father's Day since their dads are currently elsewhere - and that unfortunately, this has real ramifications for them and for society as a whole. Study after study has shown that one of the best things you can do for your kids is marry their mom. Ann Coulter (love her or hate her, she does her research) spends a whole chapter on this in her book Guilty. One particularly terrifying paragraph includes research that "70 percent of inmates in state juvenile detention centers serving long-term sentences were raised by single mothers. ... 70 percent of teenage births, droupouts, suicides, runaways, juvenile delinquents, and child murderers involve children raised by single mothers." (see bottom for references)

In other words, one of the best advantages a man can give his kids is simply to be their dad in the old-fashioned sense. Sticking around, being part of their lives, staying married to their mother, etc. Certainly there are some horrible exceptions, but as a general rule, having your dad around is one of the greatest things that can happen to you.

I'm thankful for my dad, not just for being there, but really being an exceptional father. Since this is an economics blog I won't gush, but both of my parents are incredible people - and two of my best friends.

Thanks to them, I get to do a lot of sweet things - several of which I did on Father's Day itself. I got to hear my dad teach on Revelation, go to my brother's baseball game, blog, chop fruit, make hamburger patties (who knew they'd shrink so much? The buns swallowed what had been nice-sized burgers. I think perhaps shrinkydinks have "ground beef" as a main ingredient.), have extended family over for my sister's birthday, and watch a movie.

So even though it's a little silly, I'd just like to repeat what I said to my dad this morning: Happy Father's Day. I love you.

I did all this in:
Zebra-like patterned knee-length strapless sheath dress, silver hoop earrings, gold antique-style charm bracelet, and spring-green leather and cork concealed-platform-style (with a visible platform) stilettos.


The facts from Ann Coulter's book Guilty appear on page 37 and are cited from Richard E. Redding, "It's Really About Sex: Same-Sex Marriage, Lesbigay Parenting, and the Psychology of Disgust," C. C. Harper and S. S. McLanahan's "Father Absence and Youth Incarceration," Wade Horn's "Why There is no Substitute for Parents," Chuck Colson's How Shall We Live, and David T. Lykken's "Reconstructing Fathers," respectively. And yes, I know that wasn't in MLA formatting. The freedom of blogging!

1 comment:

  1. The "shrinkydink" part was my favourite.
    I laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete