Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Girl in the Blue Shirt

Earlier this week, every young budding economist's dream came true for me. I got to be in the studio audience for Stossel — John Stossel's economics show on Fox Business. Not only did I get to be in the audience (for the second time in my fortunate life!), but I got to ask multiple questions, and John Stossel talked to me, calling me "the girl in the blue shirt!"

That's right. John Stossel commented on what I was wearing. If this doesn't prove that fashion and economics go together, I don't know what does. This was thrilling, naturally, and I went through the rest of the day feeling pretty elated. Oh, and I enjoyed the rest of the show too.

Apart from getting my extremely thoughtful, silent-film-worthy facial expressions out there for the general public, I also got to listen to Stossel interview people about why America is wealthy — naturally, the right answer was "because up to this point we've been pretty economically free," but not everyone agreed with this. Stossel & friends also touched on things like the ethical and economic legitimacy of sweatshops in the developing world, how America has fallen in The Heritage Foundation's list of the most economically free countries, and whether the Obama administration is a friend of big business. The guests were interesting, the topic was timely, and it was a wonderful way to spend the middle of a Wednesday.

I know you're probably still reeling from the sheer wonder of it all, but I have something extra wonderful. They gave me free lunch. Yes, you read that right. I got free lunch at an economics show. Miracles do happen.

John Stossel noticed me in:
The aforementioned blue, short-sleeved button-up shirt, gray sailor-front wide-leg pants, blue floral disc earrings, silver circular watch, silver daisy ring, and black and gray menswear-inspired pumps.

(Also, after a longer post last week, I'm trying to incorporate the soul of wit into my posts more.)

4 comments:

  1. But there's no such thing as a free lunch =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, you're one smart cookie. :D
    Lucky for me, miracles trumped timeless economic truths. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But would Stossel be okay with one-upping Friedman? Now that is the question =p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we will just have to ask him!

    ReplyDelete